Toronto, ON - October 22nd, 2003 - We are proud to announce the release of PocketITP to the general public. PocketITP brings all of the powerful features of the desktop version of ITP to PocketPC PDAs. Like it's bigger brother, PocketITP is a FTP server that is specifically designed to optimize photographic workflow, with features such as batch renaming, automatic directory generation and more. This package is especially targeted at users of Nikon's WT-1 wireless transmission device, allowing images to be organized the moment they are received by the PDA.
Additionally, PocketITP brings a number of new features that are suited to the smaller platform. An all new user-interface design provides simple access designed for these compact devices - allowing you to access many features with a single hand! It also offers special power management features and the ability to switch storage media on the fly if space runs out. These features help to combat the limited resources available, allowing you to work effectively regardless of which type of machine you are using.
In addition to the long list of advanced features, PocketITP also has the advantage of being tested against the WT-1 wireless transmitter by Nikon staff. This ensures you that our product will not have any hidden incompatibility and allows you to get to work as soon as possible. The Nikon WT-1 is a potentially powerful device and we are committed to unlocking that potential as much as possible by designing our server to work with it!
ITP 1.0 Feature Summary:
- Intelligent Overwrite Protection - The server can be configured to automatically rename different files that are uploaded to the name of an existing file. This protects your files from being accidentally overwritten, and can be especially useful where multiple photographers may be uploading to the same path. However, this is taken a step further in that the server will automatically compare the new file with the older ones and if it is a retransmission attempt, will replace the older file. This allows you to have the protection without the clutter that a simpler system would create.
- Automatic Directory Generation - Using the variables functionality, the server can be configured to automatically generate directory trees based on features like the date and the login name. This is entirely transparent to the user, and as far as they are concerned they are uploading to a simple static path. This allows the server to automatically create chronological directory trees and make tasks like archival considerably easier.
- Batch Renaming - The server can automatically replace the DSC_ portion of the filename using the prefix feature. This prefix, like most other features in ITP, can contain variables such as the username - allowing multiple shooters to upload to the same directory and still keep their files separate.
- Simple and Intuitive User Interface - Since this package is designed for photographers the UI has been designed to simplify the administration tasks as much as possible. New users can be added quickly and easilly, and it is easy to control where their files are sent. Most features can also be fully configured on a per-user basis, so you can adjust ITP's behaviour to suit your needs.
- Memory Card Failover - Due to the limited storage capacity of many PocketPCs, PocketITP offers the ability to automatically switch over to a secondary memory card when the first becomes full. If your PDA offers the necessary hardware this allows you to have as much as 16GB of flash memory constantly available at any given time and prevents the need for manual switching. It also means that full cards can be swapped out without interfering with the opperation of the server in any way.
- Simple and Intuitive User Interface - Since this package is designed for photographers the UI has been designed to simplify the administration tasks as much as possible. New users can be added quickly and easilly, and it is easy to control where their files are sent. Most features can also be fully configured on a per-user basis, so you can adjust PocketITP's behaviour to suit your needs right on the PDA.
- Single-Handed Opperation - One of the major advantages that PDAs have above laptops and tabletpcs is that they can often be opperated with a single hand. PocketITP fully exploits this capability by allowing the user to perform many tasks (such as monitoring active users) directly from the five-way controller that every PocketPC is equipped with. This allows photographers to manage PocketITP without having to put down their camera, making it easy to control regardless of the situation you are in.
- Status Readouts - PocketITP can provide the user with a readout of the ammount of storage space available as well as remaining battery power (if supported by your PDA) on the main window. This allows the user to see at a glance the status of these key resources so that he won't run out unexpectedly. Furthermore, other critical information such as the primary IP Address of the PocketPC, the running status of the server and the number of connected users are displayed as well, providing quick access to this key information without digging into menus!
- Lightweight and Efficient - This package has been designed from the ground up for this task. Features that were unnecessary were not implemented, the memory footprint was carefully designed and ITP is capable of adapting itself to various system bottlenecks. This framework allows the same core server code to run on both full Windows computers and PocketPC PDAs - allowing maximum flexibility in deployment.
- Multithreaded - File storage and networking components run in different threads, connected by a memory buffer. This eliminates many bottlenecks, allowing every facet of the server to run at the highest rate possible and providing a more responsive set of controls to the user. This also allows this package to make full use of multiprocessor systems.
Pricing and Availability:
Best of all, ITP 1.0 is being offered as freeware to the public. Commercial versions with additional automation features will follow shortly if there is sufficient interest. Feel free to download and try ITP for yourself and see how it works in your workflow!
ITP is currently only available for the Windows (98, ME, NT, 2000, XP and 2003). A PocketPC (PocketPC 2002, WM2003) version is currently in private beta testing and will be available in the near future.